Sunday, June 19, 2011

Airplane Yoga

If you have noticed a paucity of posts lately, it's because I have been traveling this month.  I love to travel; and I know that it's not just the destination that matters, but the journey. But seriously, traveling coach on US Airways is no fun. My usual m.o. is to bury myself in a book and a couple of trashy magazines.  I read "The End of Overeating" by David Kessler M.D. and found it a fascinating read about how our appetites have been manipulated by the culture, the media and food manufacturers so that our bodies and our brains are totally misguided and confused; and a great profile of the newlyweds William and Catherine in Vanity Fair and a wonderfully decadent Spa magazine that made me want to immediately plan my next getaway.   But since "moving" is part of my new m.o.,  I talked myself into experimenting with airplane seat yoga.  I have taken enough gentle yoga, including chair yoga, over the past three years that I figured I could come up with some poses that would incorporate stretching, breathing and relaxation to help me tolerate two cross-country flights.
My yoga teachers, Jen in particular, focuses always and fundamentally on the breath.  She teaches four-count breathing, although I like a five-count.  In and out, rhythmically, it is calming and creates a certain mindfulness.  These are some of the poses I came up with that created more of a relaxing physical experience to complement the escapist and sometimes mindless reading I do in flight.  (OK, the lawyer in me comes out.  I am not an expert and not a yoga teacher.  Do these at your own risk!)
While breathing,
  1. Chin to Chest
  2. Chin to Ceiling
  3. Lower Ear towards the shoulder and use your arm and your head to help with the stretch.
  4. Wrist Circles
  5. Point and Flex the Feet
  6. Spread the Toes
  7. Seated Twists, putting one arm behind your back and and looking over your shoulder, with your other arm on your knee or your armrest
  8. Mini Hip Circles
  9. Open the Tray Table, rest your head on your arms and lean forward as you exhale to get a deeper stretch
  10. Mini Cat and Cows, rolling your shoulders forward and backward
  11. Eagle arms
  12. Raise your arms overhead and stretch
  13. Slide your arms forward down your legs as you bend forward, getting a deeper stretch as you exhale
  14. Pull your bellly into your spine and your spine into your belly.
  15. And for final relaxation, put your seat back and breathe. 
The photo above is of the Napa Valley and was taken from the Wine Train.  A relaxing dinner and ride that included a memorable sunset.  Makes the coach travel worthwhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment