Friday, April 15, 2011

Calling Dr. Walmart, Dr. Walmart

I'm feeling a bit under the weather so I went to Walmart today.  Under normal circumstances, Walmart is a place I avoid.  Too many people, too much cheap stuff from China, too much stuff in general.  I prefer more relaxed shopping in places that are smaller and frankly more upscale (think Whole Foods and Anthropologie).    And I sort of like to go to a grocery store, pharmacy, flower shop, card store, etc., separately, not together in a full-court press, energy sapping marathon shopping experience. 

However, the hospital where I work opened two urgent care clinics at local Walmart stores over the past year.  One of my work colleagues went last week and told me what a wonderful experience it was. So on my way home from work, I stopped in.   

It was an impressive, customer friendly experience.  It was as close to an old-fashioned family doctor visit as anything I have experienced since childhood.  Remember when doctors had 'office hours'?  It meant that you went, sat in a waiting room and on a first-come, first-served basis, were seen by the one doctor in the practice and had your problem addressed.  I remember my dad taking me to Dr. Visoke's office in McKeesport, sitting in a nearly-full waiting room and taking our turn. 

Well this wasn't a doctor at the Walmart clinic, it was a nurse practitioner.  His exam was thorough, he was kind and attentive, the visit was unrushed because there was only one other patient there before me, and it was no-hassle.  Don't get me wrong, I love my PCP.  But all the 'stuff' that accompanies a doctor's office visit and a doctor's office, is simplified with the urgent care clinic concept.  Just stop in; make the co-pay (in this case a mere $20), see the practitioner, and be on your way. 

Wow, Walmart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment