Monday, April 25, 2011

New Easter Traditions


"I am the resurrection and the life".   Aren't those seven words what Easter's all about?  Not bonnets and buffets.  I did manage to eat, mind and move this Easter Sunday.  JB and I went to Mass at St. Mary's in Sharpsburg. (JB is the name I've decided to use when referring to my husband in this blog -- i.e. my Javier Bardem.)  The Church was beautifully decorated and full; the Mass was joyful.  After Mass, I took a quick 30-minute walk around the neighborhood with my neighbor. Then we went with friends Priscilla and Tom to the Westmoreland Museum of Art.  Priscilla was interested in a special landscape exhibit.  WMOA is lovely and small; it has a collection of local landscapes in addition to the special one Priscilla wanted to see. The painting pictured above by William Coventry Wall (1811-1886) is part of their permanent collection and is titled 'View Along the Allegheny Near Aspinwall, PA, 1867'.  The post next to the painting reads, "Painted from the outskirts of Sharpsburg, the view looks upriver toward what is today the town of Aspinwall.  Shown is a stretch of the Allegheny River with Six Mile Island as it looked in the 1860s.  Today the Highland Park Bridge and adjacent highway would obstruct much of this view."  Then we ate (at a buffet), but not too much.  I missed my kids since they are both in the middle of a college term and did not come home.  But having a holiday not be totally food centered was a welcome change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment