Sunday, April 17, 2011

Our Lady of Weight Loss,

aka Janice Taylor, is one of my motivators. She's in the blogosphere and you can link to 'Our Lady of Weight Loss' from the links on the right side of my blog. I don't link a lot or with just anybody. I met Janice Taylor last November at the Diabetes Expo, where she spoke, greeted people and signed books.  I bought a copy of OLWL that she signed for me.  She's very funny; the book is an easy read.  Have you ever heard the expression, it's not what someone says, it's how they make you feel?  There is a personal warmth about her and a genuineness that can only come from someone who has been there.  Something in her 'before' picture reminded me of me.  And her 'after' picture and actual presence look worlds away from where she started.  That's what I want. 
One of my favorite things in the book is a form letter that you can send to your office mates about the work environment.  There is a lot of food drama and frenzy in most office settings that is challenging for some of us.  Her letter gave me the courage and the words to ask a colleague to move her candy dish (and no one will get hurt!) which she keeps within easy reaching distance of my hand as I walk the corridor to the outside door of our office suite dozens of times a day.  That's a lot of times to resist temptation.  
One of her signature expressions (and the title of another of her books) is, 'All is Forgiven, Move On'.   That helps me too.  That whole self-compassion, don't beat yourself up too much approach is working much better for me than the whole guilt thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment