Monday, May 9, 2011

Jan, Nan and Rosanne

I am still in the toddler stage of my blogging career -- ranting, sometimes negative, questioning and not sure of the right way to put words together. I wanted to see who was out there blogging about diabetes, since my diagnosis with Type 2 was the impetus for the creation of this blog. I had no idea there were so many people  blogging about diabetes, until I searched  'diabetes blogs' on Google; and literally millions of hits came up.
Then coincidentally (which I really don't believe in; I think all things that happen are meant to be), I happened across the site for D-Blog week and signed up, before I even knew what the topics were. Then I checked out some of the others who signed up, including Nan of http://www.eatpraybolus.blogspot.com/ and Jan of http://www.bloodsweatcarbs.blogspot.com/.
Apparently, I am drawn to three-word blog titles that remind me of mine and to bloggers who use Google with names that also rhyme with mine. Then, when I looked at their blogs, they both turned out to be relatively new sites, just like mine.  Nan's blog header is, "stories of food, faith & family (oh, yeah...& diabetes!), kind of like my header.  Jan's blog header is, "Random thoughts and reflections about the 3 things I am most passionate about: Diabetes, Exercise, and Cooking, while raising a 10 year old son with Type 1 diabetes".So they are both moms with kids who have Type 1; I am in awe of these women who on a constant basis, are responsible for managing, coaching, encouraging a child with such a serious health condition.  Nan's description of the effort involved in preparation for her child's track meet gave me an insight into her reality that makes mine seem pretty easy to manage.  And Jan is a serious athlete, describing herself as someone who is, "extremely active and loves running, cycling, triathlon, and numerous other sports. In my spare time I also love to cook and promote the importance of a healthy, active lifestyle".   Her athletic event schedule is posted on her site and includes Cyclebetes, a relay from Vancouver to Calgary -- and I think I am doing well when I take a 30-minute walk every day. 
This post is a shout out to all the incredible moms of kids with Type 1.  Sometimes I blame myself for lifestyle choices that contributed to my diabetes.  That seems to me to be a big difference between me, Jan and Nan.   But just reading their blogs (and I hope to continue to follow them) is motivational and inspirational. 

No comments:

Post a Comment