Thursday, May 19, 2011

Those Who Fail To Plan

… plan to fail.  Isn’t that how the saying goes?  I have not written a lot of posts lately about the ‘Eat’-focused portion of this blog.  But the last few weeks have been a struggle.  This is party-time, with lots of social stuff going on related to work and personal life, including retirement dinners, nurses and hospital week celebrations, graduation parties and reunions.  I’ve been avoiding the scale and when I checked this morning, it showed an increase of 2.3 pounds since my last Weight Watchers weigh-in on April 26.  Yikes!  It’s kind of freaking me out.  Now, overall I am still down 22 pounds from my peak weight and 11 since January.  But still, it’s going in the wrong direction. 

But let me digress.  I am not a very organized person – I don’t typically make lists; my desk is cluttered; I’d have a hard time finding my social security card if I had to; and right now, have been unable to locate the parking pass that opens the gate to the hospital garage for several days.  The only good thing about not knowing where the parking pass is?  I have to walk from one of the outlying lots so I get more exercise.

This disorganization is itself a source of stress.  I truly am in awe of those who are blessed with the organization gene.   You know, they’re the ones who send thank you notes promptly, keep track of birthdays, can locate the family mailing list, the ones you call when you need an address or phone number and who don’t have to move stuff out of the front seat of the car when driving you somewhere. 

What I have noticed in the last few weeks is that I get into trouble when I do not meticulously and consciously plan meals and snacks or when a meeting involving a meal or at mealtime interrupts my typical schedule. 

So next week, I have a three-day business trip with a group from work.  I have started thinking about how I will take food with me to help me get through it.  It’s at a world-famous healthcare institution known for a focus on wellness, but I am not going to take any chances.  Mentally, I have begun packing an insulated tote bag with some low-carb staples like cut vegetables, Greek yogurt, Mary’s Gone Crackers, Yumnuts, etc.

Not willing to wing this one.  Not willing to skip another Weight Watchers weigh-in either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment