Saturday, May 21, 2011

Narcissistic Navel Gazing?

It's no secret that I am a pretty conventional Roman Catholic, the product of 12 years of Catholic education in the 1960s and 1970s.  The fact that the Vatican recently held a meeting for bloggers gives me an opportunity to reflect on the whole blogosphere thing.  Why do people do this?   One of my frequent time wasters, or multi-tasking diversions while I am on conference calls (oops, did I really write that?) is to click on the 'Next Blog' button that appears on blogspot.  It is amazing to 'surf' blogs and see the stuff that people write about and post.  Lots of family blogs, travel blogs, business-promoting blogs, 'cause' blogs for diseases, organizations and points of view and many dead or at least terminally inactive blogs where no posts have been made for months or years.  When I read that the Vatican invited bloggers to come to Rome, it impressed me as pretty cool.  After all, people think the Vatican is old and stodgy, but taking the initiative to host a blogger conference with people from around the world strikes me as more in-touch than most people give it credit for.  Then I learned that Pope Benedict XVI has written on the subject of social media and encouraged priests to adopt these forms of communication to reach out to people who are not the ones usually in the pews on Sunday.  At the blog conference, Federico Lombardi, SJ, commented on the potential for good in that bloggers can inform and explain the Church.  He was also quoted as being concerned about the inherent problem of self-centeredness and ego among communicators in general, and particularly among bloggers.  It is an issue I think about regularly, not so much related to blogging specifically, but social media in general, although I often ask myself why I am really doing this.  
I read another quote from another Vatican spokesperson related to the use of Facebook,  Monsignor Paul Tighe, from the same Social Communications Office as Father Lombardi.  "What we have found is that Facebook doesn't just share information, it creates community,  People begin talking to each other and sharing ideas."   I get that and hope that is what I am doing with both my Facebook page and this blog.   And if I step too far over the line into the world of 'me, me, me'  feel free to let me know. 
P.S.  Early yesterday evening as I was driving home from work, I got a phone call from my cousin, who shared sad news with me about the untimely death of another of our cousins, whose sister is a fairly prominent blogger.  This morning, I saw that she had posted a poignant reflection on their relationship.  Now that's building community.  More later on that issue. 
P.P.S. For my Facebook friends, learning what you had for dinner or that you are going to sleep now is TMI.  I love the ideas, the funny stuff, the photos, but let's all think before we post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment