Thursday, March 10, 2011

About the Move Part and Shopping for Fat People

It's probably obvious what the "Move" part of this blog title means.  I need to move more and better.  Growing up, exercise was not something that I saw older girls or young women do.  We ran and played a lot as kids, but by high school, gym was something I tried to get out of every week.  My mom and aunts certainly did nothing like formal exercise.  Now they gardened, hung clothes out to dry, cleaned and ironed (none of which I do) and walked up and down steps all day.  Maybe it's a socioeconomic or ethnic thing.  Some of my friends had mothers that swam or played tennis or golfed.   And I do try to exercise, but nothing too hard.  For the past three years, I have done yoga fairly regularly.  Not the 104 degree, sweat like crazy, Jennifer Aniston, Bikram-type.  Mine is more like the stretching, twisting, reaching, building flexibility type.  After three years, I am very flexible, but still fat.  When I first met Clare in London last December to help pack up her dorm room, in the first 24 hours, I commented to her that there seemed to be no fat people in London.  Well, maybe a few that could be labeled as pleasingly plump.  One day, while Clare was in class, I was at Harrod's and decided to shop for them.  They were a rarity.  Especially truly obese people.  Clare said it's cultural, a combination of portion sizes, physical activity and a largely snackless daily routine.  One of my favorite places to shop is Whole Foods and there is one in London.  It is about five times the size of the one in Pittsburgh.  One of the things I immediately noticed and took a picture of as an example of the 'portion distortion' we have in the US was a Cliff Bar.  Same flavors as here, but about half the size.  Ditto for the yogurt at Starbucks. 
Anyway, Dr. Natalie says "Not exercising is not an option."  So I am exercising more, at least 150 minutes a week or an average of 30 minutes five times a week.  I got that down, now she says I need to build more muscle, do strength training.   Going to an E.P. to get an exercise prescription.  
Day two of no candy, and day two of writing notes of gratitude.  So far, so good. 

1 comment:

  1. I know someone who moved to Tokyo for two years. Though not visibly overweight, he lost twenty-five pounds in his first three months there without trying. Probably a combination of lots of walking and smaller portions.

    ReplyDelete