Thursday, March 31, 2011

Weight Watchers

I have an up and down relationship with Weight Watchers®.  Sort of like my weight.  It started in my early 20s, so we have been together, albeit intermittently, for about 35 years.      

Back in the 70s there was a small pink book that provided the rules of the program – still have it but still remember a lot of it off the top of my head.  The highlights were:  five fish meals a week, liver once a week, vegetables with category numbers, limited number of fruits a day and categories of fruits, limited beef, limited carbs and large protein servings at lunch and dinner.   Rules were rules. 

This was the program on which I reached ‘lifetime member’ status.  And never since gotten back to that low point in my weight. 

They keep updating the program and the spokespeople.  Remember Lynn Redgrave?  Fergie?  Now there is Jennifer Hudson, etools, points calculators, many more choices and much more flexibility than we had back in the old days. 

Since signing up for the umpteenth time in January for the Weight Watchers at Work Program ™, I have lost ten pounds and have 25 more to go.  But it’s been a rough road.  Only since the nutrition and naturopathic consults at Canyon Ranch have I gotten a clear roadmap of how it will be possible for me to lose the weight I need to.  It seems that Weight Watchers ®, in all its wisdom and new-found flexibility, has to be tweaked in order for me to effectively and consistently lose weight.  

What doesn’t work for me?  The carbs, including fruit, particularly eaten alone, seem to drive cravings that only lead to an appetite for even more carbs.   The CR recommendation to eat protein with carbs and more strictly monitor carbs seems to be working now in conjunction with the other positive aspects of the WW program. 

New lesson learned?  You are an experiment of one.  If whatever you are doing is not working for you, get advice.  Talk to the WW Leader or a nutritionist and all you may need are a few “tweaks” (I love that word.).  And sometimes, whatever is old becomes new again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment